The church was completed in 1875 to serve the growing local population. The main benefactors were the Cross family, mill owners who lived nearby at Mortfield, Thomas Cross giving the site for the church, a school and a vicarage, plus £1,000. The carved wooden altarpiece incorporating a low relief of da Vinci’s last supper was given by his son, James Percival Cross. The church was an early use by the architects of brick on such a large scale providing seating for 849 people. The church was consecrated in July 1875 by the Rt. Revd James Fraser, Bishop of Manchester, a Lady Chapel was formed in 1922 as a war memorial and new vestries were added to the church in 1932. The Alter was replaced in 1960 due to a fire.